Regular calibration of your Bowmonk or Tapley brake testing / decelerometer equipment is essential in order to ensure that the equipment continues to provide accurate readings and to maintain legal compliance. As a UKAS accredited calibration laboratory, meeting the requirements of the International Standard ISO/IEC 17025:2005, Bowmonk is able to offer a range of calibration services.
In accordance with UKAS regulations we are required to point out that our accreditation is limited to those activities described on our UKAS schedule of accreditation.
Our recommended calibration intervals for UK customers are shown below. Different intervals may apply to export markets.
- BrakeCheck (all variants) - calibration required every 2 years
- Bowmonk VI & 2000 - calibration required every year
- AFM2 Runway Friction Tester - calibration required every year
- TintTesta - calibration required every year or every 2,500 tests
- Brakemeter / Dynometer - calibration required every 2 years
Please note that in the UK it is mandated to have portable brake testing equipment calibrated at least every 2 years if used for MOT testing purposes. If you are a non-UK customer then please check with your local authority for the applicable regulations regarding calibration intervals.
The next calibration due date is shown on a sticker affixed to the side of all our devices except the AFM2. All our electronic instruments (including the AFM2) automatically include the next calibration date on every receipt produced.
In addition the devices notify users that calibration is due as follows:
- BrakeCheck (all variants) - a warning LED flashes 14 days before calibration is due, remaining permanently lit thereafter.
- Bowmonk VI & 2000 - an on-screen message appears on/after the due date.
- AFM2 Runway Friction Tester - the due date is shown briefly on-screen every time the instrument starts, and an on-screen "service" message appears on/after the due date.
- TintTesta - a warning LED flashes 14 days before calibration is due, remaining permanently lit thereafter. The LED is also permanently lit if the maximum number of tests has been exceeded.
- Brakemeter / Dynometer - no notification (refer to sticker).
We aim to make the calibration procedure for decelerometers as easy as possible. If we have your contact details then a month or so before your unit is due for calibration we will write to you to remind you that calibration is shortly due, also including a 2nd class returns postage label (excluding Bowmonk VI & 2000 devices which should always be sent via courier). This will be followed up by a phone call if the unit is not received by the calibration due date.
When the calibration is due you simply need to return the device to us, using either our supplied returns label or your own choice of courier. Only the testing device itself is required for calibration, so external accessories (e.g. chargers, brackets, cases, etc.) do not need to be returned.
Once your unit is received by us we operate a same day turnaround wherever possible. Your unit will then be returned to you by 2nd class post, unless you have arranged with us to upgrade the return shipping method. Bowmonk VI & 2000 units are always returned by next-day courier.
EU Customers (except UK)
When your decelerometer is due for calibration please return the device to us using your own choice of courier. Only the testing device itself is required for calibration, so external accessories (chargers, brackets, cases, etc.) do not need to be returned.
Once we receive your device we operate a 1-day turnaround wherever possible. We will liaise with you to arrange for your device to be shipped back to you.
When your decelerometer is due for calibration please either contact us first or follow these instructions. Extra customs and/or courier charges may apply if you do not follow our instructions.
Return Address for all Calibrations:
FAO: Leon McCarthy
Tel: +44 (0) 1603 485 153
The importance of Genuine Calibration
For any type of testing or measuring equipment it is vital that calibration services are carried out by laboratories which:
- are appropriately accredited by the relevant approval authority (e.g. UKAS);
- adhere to the requirements stipulated by the product's approval authority (e.g. DVSA);
- carry out calibrations in accordance with the manufacturer's approved instructions.
As the manufacturer of the above devices, and operating a UKAS-approved calibration laboratory, Bowmonk is perfectly placed to provide fast, efficient and cost-effective calibration services.