The BrakeCheck is our portable, DVSA-approved brake tester and a DVSA MTS (MOT Testing System) approved device.
The Bowmonk BrakeCheck is a fully self-contained, user-friendly, portable brake tester, used by workshops, government traffic authorities and Authorised Test Facilities (ATF's) around the world to record the braking efficiency and percentage of braking imbalance of all classes of vehicle from a Motorcycle to an HGV, in a matter of minutes.
The BrakeCheck is also approved by the DVSA for performing the quarterly voluntary brake tests now required as part of the interim safety inspections.
The Bowmonk BrakeCheck determines braking efficiency of both the Service Brake (Foot Brake) and Hand Brake by measuring the rate of deceleration from a speed of around 20 mph until the vehicle comes to rest. BrakeCheck is available in a variant which can also measure the brake efficiency of the Secondary Brake.
Designed to be self-compensating, the instrument will indicate on the LED screen when it is positioned level enough to perform a brake test, with a generous tolerance to ensure that this is easy to achieve.
The unit indicates whether the vehicle pulls to the left or right during braking.
Test results can be viewed on the display panel or downloaded to a PC for saving or printing. A printed report can also be produced at the time of testing using the portable infra-red printer. Please see the BrakeCheck Accessories page for more information.
The device operates on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack and will power-down after a period of inactivity to conserve energy.
As an optional feature, BrakeCheck can include a built-in GPS receiver, with the latitude and longitude of the brake test location being printed on the receipt.
Product variants for different vehicle types
The BrakeCheck is available in a number of variants which cover all common and specialist vehicle types, including:
- BrakeCheck4Quarries - for quarry and plant vehicles
- BrakeCheck FLT - for forklift trucks
- BrakeCheck with Secondary Test - for measuring Service, Hand and Secondary brake performance (see "Model Variants" tab above for more information)
- BrakeCheck TT - for displaying separate results for truck and trailer brake efficiencies (see "Model Variants" tab above)
Calibration & Training
- 3-Axis Accelerometer
- Measures Peak Deceleration Front/Rear
- Measures Average Deceleration Front/Rear
- Measures Peak Acceleration Left/Right
- Vehicle pulls Left/Right indication and value
- Calculates Brake Efficiency
- Calculates Stopping Distance (displayed in metres or, by special request, feet)
- Calculates Test Speed (displayed in km/h or, by special request, mph)
- Can be used for Hand Brake Test
- Audio Signal
- Measures Ambient Temperature in °C and °F
- For BrakeCheck Geo only:
- Built-in GPS receiver
- Latitude and longitude of the brake test finish point are stated on the print-out
- GPS facility can be enabled or disabled as required by the user. When enabled, the brake test cannot be started until a GPS fix is obtained.
- LED indicating GPS status, one of the following:
- GPS disabled
- Searching for GPS fix
- GPS fix obtained & ready for test
- Please note that BrakeCheck Geo is not currently compatible with CabCheckS software for downloading results to a PC.
- Battery charger supplied, with appropriate plug for destination country
- Operates for approximately 5 hours or approximately 120 tests on full charge
- Can be used after 5 minutes of charging
- Battery charge indicator
- Automatic level compensation
- Simple LED indicator system
- Easy to use
- "Calibration Required" indicator
- Three digit readout
- Display can be read in sunlight
- Internal self-diagnostics
- Test results are stated in 'g' units and are accurate to +/- 0.01g (results can be stated in m/s² by special request)
- Size: 170 x 80 x 35 mm
- Weight: 0.4kg
- Range of accessories available
BrakeCheck (all vehicles)
The BrakeCheck is a DVSA approved decelerometer for testing all classes of vehicle, including:
- Motorcycles and Quad bikes / ATVs (requires optional handle-bar mounting kit)
- Passenger Cars
- Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV), e.g. vans
- Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV), e.g. articulated and non-articulated trucks
- Passenger Service Vehicles (PSV), e.g. buses, coaches and minibuses
BOW801 - BrakeCheck
Stores 1 Service Brake & 1 Hand Brake test into memory.
BOW801KIT - BrakeCheck Kit
BOW801S - BrakeCheck with Secondary Test
Stores 1 Service Brake, 1 Secondary Brake & 1 Hand Brake test into memory.
BOW803 - BrakeCheck Plus
Stores 99 Service Brake & 99 Hand Brake tests into memory.
BOW803G - BrakeCheck Geo
Built-in GPS receiver. Stores 99 Service Brake & 99 Hand Brake tests into memory.
BrakeCheck TT (Trailer Test)
The BrakeCheck TT (Trailer Test) is very similar to the standard BrakeCheck unit, but has the facility to display separate results for the truck and trailer braking efficiencies.
Please note that, as with any portable brake testing device, the BrakeCheck TT is not DVSA-approved for trailer brake testing. To gain DVSA approval a test device must be able to determine whether the wheels have locked up, which is not practically possible with a portable device. Please click here for more information.
BOW820 - BrakeCheck TT
Stores 99 Service Brake, 99 Hand Brake and 99 Trailer Brake tests into memory.
The BrakeCheck4Quarries is very similar to the standard BrakeCheck unit, but tests the parking brake via an inclined brake test (i.e. checking that the parking brake keeps the vehicle stationary on an incline rather than measuring deceleration of the vehicle itself). It is also able to prompt the user to enter the condition and type of surface on which the brake test will be carried out
BrakeCheck FLT (Forklift Truck)
The BrakeCheck FLT (ForkLift Truck) is very similar to the standard BrakeCheck unit, but has been developed with a leading forklift truck manufacturer to take account of the slow speed and tilt of forklift truck vehicles.
The full range of accessories for the BrakeCheck are shown here.