EBS / ABS sensor & exciter ring tester
Works on trucks, trailers and buses
Tests for the 6 main causes of EBS / ABS faults
Performs a complete test cycle in just 15 seconds
No need to remove road wheel
Quick, accurate & simple to use
Lightweight & portable
The SensorCheck is a handheld EBS / ABS sensor and exciter ring tester, for use on trucks, trailers, and buses.
Conventional wisdom has it that problems with EBS / ABS systems fitted to trucks, trailers and buses, are best diagnosed via the vehicle’s Electronic Control Unit (also known as the ECU). However, since 80% of all EBS / ABS problems are sensor related 1, by connecting directly to the sensor socket for each wheel rather than to the ECU you are, in effect, taking the quickest and most direct route by going straight to the heart of the problem.
Lightweight and portable, the SensorCheck is supplied with a 1.6m high quality cable and a separate “crocodile clip” universal adapter for those applications where the standard lead’s termination is not applicable. A short introductory printed manual and a single 9V PP3 battery are also included. The SensorCheck comes ready to use straight out of the box.
Designed with ease of use in mind, the SensorCheck takes minutes to set-up and, once connected, undertakes a complete test cycle of the six most common causes of EBS / ABS faults, at the touch of a button, in just 15 seconds – a fraction of the time it would take to perform the same tests manually – and all without having to remove the road wheel. Tests start with the continuity of the sensor and sensor lead, the status of the air gap and the condition of the exciter ring.
A list of the tests undertaken by the SensorCheck, along with other important features and benefits of the unit, can be found under the “Features & Specs” tab above.
1 Source: Knorr-Bremse & Wabco
How to Use
The Bowmonk SensorCheck is a small hand held diagnostic tool for checking the ABS sensor, sensor lead and ‘exciter’ or ‘pole’ ring in the event of an ABS warning light illuminating in the cab. All tests are completed without the need to remove the road wheel, and take only minutes to perform.
Testing for the cause of an ABS warning light generally starts by running diagnostic checks on the components surrounding the ABS sensor.
The SensorCheck enables the technician to carry out a complete ‘continuity’ test of the sensor, and the sensor lead, checking for any ‘open’ or ‘short’ circuits. A red LED on the fascia panel signifies either an open or short circuit within the sensor or lead, suggesting a replacement sensor is required. A green LED indicates a good circuit.
From here, by spinning the road wheel, the SensorCheck will automatically check the ‘air gap’. A red LED at this point indicates an excessive air gap, suggesting that the sensor is too far away from the exciter ring and needs moving closer. Likewise, it could be too close or even touching, so again requires repositioning.
The final test is centred around the exciter ring, checking for any breaks in the rhythm of the teeth passing over the sensor. This could be caused by a broken or missing tooth, corrosion or foreign bodies between the teeth or a misaligned or poorly fitted exciter ring. All these fault conditions are signified by a red LED.
BOW830 – SensorCheck
EBS / ABS sensor & exciter ring tester
- Lightweight – the SensorCheck fits comfortably in the hand, and is easy to operate in cramped or awkward situations – for example, underneath a vehicle.
- Portable – the SensorCheck is ideal for mobile diagnostic use. It is powered by a standard 9V battery, so requires no mains leads, and is robust enough to use in adverse weather conditions.
- Easy to use – all the instructions necessary to use the SensorCheck are printed on the face of the unit. A short introductory printed manual is also supplied. You can be up and running in literally a matter of minutes. Faults are indicated by easy to follow LED displays, and the unit also indicates when the battery needs replacing.
- Quick – the SensorCheck can complete a test cycle of the six most common causes of sensor related faults, at the touch of a button, in just 15 seconds – a fraction of the time it would take to perform the same tests manually.
- Accurate – speed is nothing without accuracy, and the SensorCheck delivers precise, accurate results that are easy to interpret.
- Robust – the SensorCheck has been designed and tested for professional use. It is manufactured from high quality components, has a wipe-clean surface, and comes supplied with a high quality 1.6m cable and 1 year parts and labour (return to base) warranty.
- Compatible – the SensorCheck is compatible with 90% of applications as standard. It works with any EBS / ABS system manufactured by either Knorr-Bremse, Haldex or Wabco, fitted to any type of commercial vehicle, whether it be a truck, trailer, bus, or coach.
- Cost effective – the SensorCheck is one investment decision that isn’t difficult to justify, given its speed, ease of use, accuracy, and price.
- Comprehensive – the SensorCheck tests for the six main causes of sensor related faults on EBS / ABS systems:
- Correct Ohms resistance
- Open circuit
- Short circuit
- Pole ring tooth damage
- Pole ring misalignment
- Sensor gap measurement
- Dimensions: 63W x 35H x 150L mm
- Weight: 0.125 Kg (including battery)
- Power Supply: 9V PP3 alkaline battery (included)
- Cables: 1.6m 2-core cable plus “crocodile clip” universal adapter
- Cable to vehicle sensor socket: Cannon (male)
- SensorCheck unit to cable plug: 2 pole connector
- Instructions for use: printed on face of unit, plus printed manual
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labour (RTB)